Dairy cows are killed
Why calves have to die for milk
For most people there is no question that animals die for meat. But one hears again and again that animals also have to die for milk, namely the calves. Strictly speaking, milk would not be vegetarian either. We got to the bottom of the matter.
Every schoolchild knows that cows are milked to produce milk. Anyone who has ever spent their vacation on the farm knows that cows are usually milked in the morning and in the evening.
Their udders are usually full, and milk sometimes even drips from their teats when the cows leisurely walk into the milking parlor. And you have certainly already seen that the cows continue to live normally after milking. So why should animals die for milk?
Calves in milk production: Born to die.
The death of calves for milk production is sadly a sad fact. About half of the people in Germany believe that cows always “give” milk. Some even fear that the udders would burst if the milk was not removed from them.
Could milking help the cows so that they are not in pain? So does milk production only serve to extract milk that is already there? The cow as an eternal fountain of milk?
Like all mammals, cows do not produce milk until they have offspring. Without calves, the cows udders are limp and empty (even human mothers do not “give” milk for life). The natural purpose of cow's milk is to feed the calf for the first few weeks and months.
For this reason, the composition of the milk also changes over time - it is perfectly tailored to the needs of the calf. But where are all the calves that you never see?
Many calves end up in the fattening area
Most calves are killed shortly after birth. Some are fattened and processed into "veal". They are often deliberately malnourished with a mixed milk substitute so that anemia develops and their meat remains light. Only a few animals are later used as “dairy cows” themselves.
Every year the dairy cows are fertilized again so that the milk flow does not decrease (because a calf would eventually start to eat solid food as well). As with humans, pregnancy lasts nine months. In dairy cow husbandry, the animals are almost always pregnant.
The high performance expectations as well as the hardships of childbirth and the almost permanent pregnancy reduce the life expectancy of dairy cows to around 4-6 years. The natural life expectancy of cattle is over 20 years.
So is milk even vegetarian?
Even if milking does not kill cows, milk production is inevitably linked to the killing of animals. It is economically and practically impossible for dairy farmers to keep and care for all of the calves. Especially since calves drink exactly the product the farmer wants to sell: milk.
For many people, products are vegetarian if no animals have been consciously killed for them. In fact, milk could be considered non-vegetarian. If you do not want animals to be deliberately killed for their own nutrition, you should therefore refrain from milk.
Many a milk consumer has already considered that it should theoretically be possible to only use the “excess” milk. Such thought games have the function of glossing over milk consumption - even if the milk actually consumed does not come from such conditions.
Fortunately, it is not difficult to do without cow's milk - because there is now a large selection of plant-based drinks made from soy, oats, spelled, coconut or nuts that no calf has to die for.
By the way: animals also have to die for many other animal products. What many consumers do not know: Unfortunately, chicks and hens also die for eggs. So there are good reasons to go vegan today.
>>> More than 5,100 have it: Vegan newsletter!
Author: Kilian Thirty
- What problems do waterbeds have
- What does Eminem's song Stan mean
- Can we consume raw goat milk
- Why are you giving advice
- Why do Nordstrom coupon codes offer discounts
- Why do you answer 1000 questions
- Why is Japan so conservative
- Why is a centimeter called a centimeter
- What if Itachi were Hokage
- What is your LinkedIn Marketing Strategy
- who is your favorite player
- Is the space curved inside a star
- What are good startup ideas for 2021
- Russian soldiers are well paid
- What is hand washing
- Why don't other people with character like them
- What are the unspoken rules of teaching
- You can spend 5 coins
- Everything is technically free
- Can a person be too loyal to you
- Which country imports the most
- How many verses should a song have
- Why don't narcissists say goodbye
- How much is 15 out of 100
- What do you know about everything
- What is a good pre-IB average
- How can I develop my Instagram community
- How can I get a good picture
- How are consoles better than PCs
- What is shared web hosting
- Support same-sex marriage
- A demat account is required
- What is the main rule
- Why is Japan so conservative