Can a photon be more stationary
Photons, Atoms, and Quantum Mechanics
Gerthsen Physik pp 607-668 | Cite as
The classical theory of light, especially in its most perfect form as Maxwell-Lorentz theory of electromagnetic waves and their interaction with the atomic charge systems, had described an immense abundance of optical phenomena with admirable precision. Refraction and dispersion, scattering, the whole variety of polarization phenomena up to the Faraday and Kerr effect, optical, activity and, a little later, the finest details of the propagation of radio waves - all of this could essentially be made understandable by the classical theory of light. This theory failed for the first time when it set out to explain the emission and absorption of light. The simplest emission should be through single atoms. Why only certain sharp frequencies are emitted here and where they lie remained completely obscure. Isolated approaches, such as Thomsons Atomic model (Sect. 12.3.1), explained the existence of the spectral lines, but gave completely wrong values for their position. For a large number of mutually influencing emitting particles, such as e.g. B. in the hot solid, especially in the "black", the situation seemed surprisingly more favorable. A continuous spectrum followed at least some rules of classical physics, such as Wien's law of displacement and Stefan-Boltzmann's law. The overall form of the spectral energy distribution, however, evaded the classical description, the more precisely it was measured.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Authors and Affiliations
- 1.Institute for Applied PhysicsUniversity BonnBonnGermany
- Tigers have rabies
- What is the porosity of rock
- How good is the University of Buffalo
- Can a person be too loyal to you
- What is more expensive skiing or snowboarding
- Is NDTV an anti-national channel
- Decorated sugar cookies hard
- How does technology affect children's social skills?
- How does tobacco chewing affect your gums?
- 2000 is the 20th century
- How is data mining automated
- What does it mean to be consistent
- BITSAT questions are tedious
- How do I get my Instagram history
- Jesus ate meat and fish
- Who pays the import duty
- What are the changes in SEO 2020
- How do you say extinct in French
- Creatine makes your muscles bigger
- How good is GM-Diaet
- What do I need to start streaming
- Who gets stomach cancer
- More people are becoming vegans
- What are good reasons for the lack of school