What does the three-point symbol mean?
People who score three points at the end of a sentence
Ellipses at the end of the sentence pile up. And it is questionable whether this should be a good thing. . .
Let's make a point. If you catch yourself liking to do three points at the end of a sentence, then some things remain open. That one shies away from saying something - or rather writing it out. And with the three points at the end, you get over it - because it leaves open how something is meant. They are not as absolute as the point. Not as aggressive as a callsign. No, the three points are like shrugging your shoulders with the you-know-how and rolling your eyes upwards. Like a well, which by the way also consists of three characters and that says everything and nothing. In any case, it is a calm alternative to the excited stringing together of callsigns, which is currently so popular, as if a key was stuck. It is hardly surprising that the three points are also called ellipses. In order not to have to put bad words into the written mouth (“Scher dich zum...”), To shorten a long quote in the middle (“Land der Berge [...] Austria”) or not to list everything in a list to have to, so instead of etc, etc. pp.,. . . And finally, this deliberate leaving open, which, with shrugging shoulders, causes readers to think a few things for themselves.
With inflationary use of the three points at the end, there is always a stale aftertaste. . . And that's exactly what you should avoid. So it would make sense to let the end of sentences become a bit more definite. Maybe with a colon with nothing after it. . . That would, however, be as mean as a teaser for the World Cup final with a subsequent power failure. It arouses expectations and ends in nothing. Quite unsatisfactory, that. . . But you have to live with that now:
Emails to: [email protected]
("Die Presse", print edition, 02/29/2016)
- What is the symbol for Death Eaters
- What was your first big sale
- How do criminal cases begin
- What is the difference between rationalism and empiricism
- When did Jesus die a second time?
- How did Obamacare ruin the healthcare system
- Do people really think China is racist
- Strict laws deter gun crimes
- What is flow
- When do you celebrate your birthday
- Little people are smarter
- Contains chlorine in bottled water
- Why does someone actually like Windows
- What great vegan cooking blogs
- Why are Republicans so for Israel
- To what extent should we value money
- What makes someone fresh
- What is the top rated website
- Which is stronger gravity or magnetism
- What is functional reactive programming
- Will the US increase the tariffs for Europe?
- Why should we believe the Bible?
- What are some free marketing courses online
- What is a brilliant writer
- Can Facebook automatically post on Twitter
- Can I drink buttermilk after eating chicken?
- What is Multi Level Marketing MLM
- What are Magento Products
- Which city is better Jamshedpur or Bhubaneswar
- What is the common food in Jaipur
- Does Quora promote conformism
- What is time dimension
- Fasting helps you lose weight