What if you eat pasta every day
Does pasta encourage cancer?
Since pasta is one of the foods rich in carbohydrates and carbohydrates are often equated with "unhealthy", some believe that frequent consumption of pasta could possibly be carcinogenic.
However, a 2013 study found that eating a lot of bread increases the risk of breast and colon cancer, especially in women. The consumption of pasta had hardly any influence on the cancer risk investigated.
In a study from September 2016, there were also hardly any identifiable connections between cereal-containing foods and the risk of breast cancer. An exception was brown rice, which could reduce the risk of breast cancer with at least 2 servings per week.
Another exception was white bread, which was associated with an increased risk of breast cancer, while an increased consumption of whole grain products reduced the risk. In terms of pasta consumption, it even looked as if the risk of breast cancer fell with increasing pasta consumption.
In 2017, a study showed that the higher the glycemic index of the respective diet, the higher the risk of bladder cancer, the more white flour products were eaten, especially white bread and the fewer vegetables were eaten. With regular consumption of whole-grain products with vegetables, however, the risk of bladder cancer did not increase.
Does pasta make you fat?
Since this question is asked so often, we have written our own article about it. You can find it here: Eating pasta and still losing weight
How can you make pasta the healthy way?
- Choose wholemeal pasta, if you prefer, gluten-free pasta, e.g. B. Whole grain rice noodles, millet noodles or buckwheat noodles.
- Alternate with legume noodles (lentil noodles, pea noodles, chickpea noodles) and - if necessary - with konjac noodles.
- Eat small portions of pasta and, best of all, a salad or soup.
- Do not serve pasta with high-fat sauces, but with lots of vegetables and protein-rich side dishes such as tofu or meatballs made from legumes.
- It is best to make your pasta sauce yourself, as purchased ready-made sauces are often too high in calories.
- If you fancy a high-calorie sauce, then at least leave out the cheese, which is often also sprinkled over the dish.
- If you want to eat pasta with oil (e.g. garlic with oil or pesto), limit yourself to 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil or pesto per person.
- Always cook pasta al dente!
What could you eat instead of pasta?
As shown above, pasta can be easily integrated into a healthy diet. Still, nothing speaks against a little variety. Alternatives to pasta are for example:
- Vegetables (zucchini, pumpkin, carrots) that can be cut into noodle shape with the spiral cutter and served raw, blanched or steamed like noodles with sauces or vegetables.
- Quinoa, buckwheat or millet
- Brown rice or wild rice
- Spelled rice
- Bulgur or couscous
Is pasta healthy or unhealthy?
The unsurprising conclusion is that high-quality pasta can - if it is prepared correctly, if it is not eaten in large quantities and served with a lot of vegetables - be a valuable component of a healthy diet.
You can find delicious and healthy pasta recipes from our ZDG cooking studio in our recipe section or on our YouTube channel.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Huang M et al. A systematic review on the relations between pasta consumption and cardio-metabolic risk factors, Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017 Nov; 27 (11): 939-948. doi: 10.1016 / j.numecd.2017.07.005. Epub 2017 Jul 18
- Scott Harris, Is pasta good or bad for you? July 24, 2018, Medical News Today
- Augustin LS et al., Associations of dietary carbohydrates, glycaemic index and glycaemic load with risk of bladder cancer: a case-control study, Br J Nutr. 2017 Nov; 118 (9): 722-729. doi: 10.1017 / S0007114517002574. Epub 2017 Oct 9
- Augustin LS et al., Associations of bread and pasta with the risk of cancer of the breast and colorectum, Ann Oncol. 2013 Dec; 24 (12): 3094-9. doi: 10.1093 / annonc / mdt383. Epub 2013 Oct 22
- Farvid MS et al., Lifetime grain consumption and breast cancer risk, Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Sep; 159 (2): 335-45. doi: 10.1007 / s10549-016-3910-0. Epub 2016 Aug 10
- Chiavaroli L et al., Effect of pasta in the context of low-glycaemic index dietary patterns on body weight and markers of adiposity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in adults, BMJ Open. 2018; 8 (3): e019438
- Harland JI, Garton LE, Whole-grain intake as a marker of healthy body weight and adiposity, Public Health Nutr. 2008 Jun; 11 (6): 554-63. Epub 2007 Nov 16
- Karin de Punder et al., The Dietary Intake of Wheat and other Cereal Grains and Their Role in Inflammation, Nutrients. 2013 Mar; 5 (3): 771-787
- Cioffi I et al., Whole-grain pasta reduces appetite and meal-induced thermogenesis acutely: a pilot study, Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, March 2016
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- How many are two million words
- What is positive schizophrenia
- What do casino dealers hate about gamblers?
- How successful are Harvard graduates
- What qualities do really bad programmers share
- How can I really know something
- How did Teespring start?
- How can I edit a topic anonymously
- What is the most expensive breed of dog
- Pictures speak louder than words
- Which websites have the best restaurant deals
- How to grow seedless grapes
- Does anyone ever really benefit from HYIP
- Could someone justify vegans eating the plants?
- How much do doctors earn per week
- Which developing countries are really developing?
- What does Bedah Siasat mean in Malay
- What is the importance of medical records
- What a cool life hack
- What is a brand
- What is traditional digital marketing
- Busan is nice
- How do I lay floor tiles
- What is a metallic luster