Which country has the darkest history
The fighting in Syria has subsided - especially since Russia and Turkey announced a ceasefire for Idlib province over a year ago. As a result, the civilian population hardly suffers less.
From Jürgen Stryjak
The misery in Syria is increasing rather than decreasing: in the camps of the displaced in northern Syria, but also in areas controlled by the government. In the ruins of the city of Douma near Damascus, for example, Umm Sobhi has to look after the four children of her son, who was killed in the war. She cannot sleep at night, the 65-year-old tells the reporter for the AFP news agency. She has to constantly think about how to feed the grandchildren and what to pay for the water and electricity bills.
90 percent of the children depend on emergency aid
Almost 2.5 million children do not go to school in the country. UNICEF, the United Nations Children's Fund, estimates that 90 percent of all children in Syria are in need of emergency aid, 20 percent more than last year. They are children like Umm Sobhi's grandchildren. So far in life you have experienced nothing but fear, hunger, loneliness and cold. Nobody should have to go through what they have experienced in recent years.
The fifth conference on "Supporting Syria and the Region" has been running in Brussels since Monday (March 29). The aim is to find political solutions and raise money for the country.End of further information
With the help of Russia, President Bashar al-Assad managed to secure his power. He now controls 70 percent of the country again. Syria's economy is suffering from the sanctions imposed on the regime by the West. Above all, however, it is the war, corruption and the consequences of the corona pandemic that have ruined the economy. At least a third of the country's infrastructure is said to have been destroyed in the war - mainly by the Syrian and Russian air forces, but also in air strikes by the US-led coalition against the terrorist militia "Islamic State", for example on the city of Raqqa.
Every second Syrian in the country does not have enough to eat, 80 percent of all people live below the poverty line. It is not easy for aid organizations to take care of them. Money is tight, and some of the conflicting parties - above all the Assad regime - are making access to those in need more difficult.
No change in sight
The UN special envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen, is particularly depressed that the UN was unable to bring the conflict closer to a solution: "On behalf of the United Nations, I deeply regret that we have so far been unable to mediate in this tragic conflict The Syrian tragedy is one of the darkest chapters in recent history. "
Syria has now broken up into four zones of influence. The government controls almost every major city in the country. Turkey invaded the northwest. In the northeast there is a Kurdish-led militia supported by the US. The region around Idlib became the last large area of insurgents. Turkish soldiers are also stationed here. There is nothing to indicate that anything could change in this constellation anytime soon. It is all the more important that the civilian population can at least be provided with emergency aid.
Broadcast: hr-iNFO Aktuell, March 30, 2021, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Why are machines better dealers
- How does Pokemon GO count battle stats
- What was the first war America lost
- How has religion influenced art?
- What would happen if money became worthless?
- How much does a parachute cost
- Is petroleum ether polar or non-polar
- How to Prevent Burglaries at Home
- Why is China building so many cities
- What are cube roots and cubes
- Where should i learn python
- What exactly is engineer induction
- How smart are special soldiers
- Assembles Walmart bikes
- Does the IQ affect life
- What do people learn in military academies
- What's your best photo or selfie
- Which country hates China the most?
- How did civilizations work 3000 years ago
- How much US debt does Russia hold?
- How do I get my Instagram history
- Can people walk on Mars-Mars ground
- What happens at a subduction limit
- Who invented discord bots
- Why are black holes not wormholes
- How can I get free airline tickets
- Appearance or intelligence are more important
- Why does breaking a neck kill someone
- Why do we dream of our exes
- How is the LMS business
- Why don't police officers use guns?
- The room expands faster than the light
- What are the B2B Email Lists