What do you know about Rene Descartes
Impulse for success: what you should learn from René Descartes
René Descartes was a French philosopher, mathematician and natural scientist. He wrote the sentence: Cogito ergo sum - I think therefore I am. But there are more insights from this philosopher that we can use for leadership.
The French philosopher René Descartes (1596-1650). Portrait of Frans Hals (1648). (Image: Wikipedia / after André Hatala [e.a.] (1997) De eeuw van Rembrandt, Bruxelles: Crédit communal de Belgique, ISBN 2-908388-32-4)
René Descartes: The ability to form opinions is unlimited
For some people - like Donald Trump - this match between opinion and facts is 100 percent: From his point of view there can be no other truth than his own opinion. And since, according to Descartes, the ability to form an opinion is unlimited, we can also create any “truths” (such as having won the election). I think that explains very elegantly many of his strange behaviors for clear-thinking people.
This is not about the ex-president, but about parallels to our leadership. Because even with each of us the line between faith and truth is sometimes blurred. Understanding this can help you deal gracefully with some typical leadership challenges.
Here are three examples of our blurry thinking in leadership and what we should do with it:
- Limited potential. Too often we believe that our potential success is severely limited. We are mentally moving in a bubble of past experience (e.g. by observing the market environment). History shows again and again that these experiences are not truths, but opinions. This is important when you are working on your business strategy.
- Fixed identity. “We are not what we are, but how we define ourselves” is a common statement from me. Most of the time we have formed very firm opinions about ourselves and about others who we believe to be truths. In reality, however, we can change our identity at any time. However, it is not easy. As a first step, however, we have to give up the belief that “this is how we are”.
- Lack of courage. We love to categorize failure as confirmation of our set beliefs. They would be more suitable as proof that our assessment was not entirely correct at this point and that we should therefore adjust it before the next attempt. We always do this instinctively when something is really important to us. Otherwise, we often lose heart because we believe that failure is a sign that it is better not to try.
As you can see, this is how you can use direct insights from philosophers for your leadership. Good luck with the application!
About the author:
Volkmar Völzke is a success maximizer. Author. Consultant. Coach. Speaker. www.volkmarvoelzke.ch
- Marketing and customer service staff (60-100%)Swiss Public Services AG / Publicjobs.ch operates electronic job markets as well as its own e-recruiting solution for the public sector and the state-related environment. In addition to www.publicjobs.ch, the website portfolio also includes the website www.gemeindestellen.ch and other platforms with a focus on job search. SPS AG was founded in 2017 and has been able to develop and grow steadily over the past few years. [...]
- Consulting & project management (ID) 60% / Prinect Business Manager system responsibility 40%As a media company, Brüggli Medien provides integrated communication with particular expertise in the areas of print, digital, communication and photography. As an inclusive training company, we maintain a social and resource-oriented attitude. Our mission is to support and support learners with physical or psychological difficulties in the best possible way. We take on social responsibility and set ourselves the goal of [...]
- Commercial ManagerCOTE MAGAZINE (Suisse) is looking for an advertising and sales professional to support our business in the greater Zurich area. Commercial Manager You will work close with our small Zurich team and you are reporting to and are supported by our sales team and editor in chief, as well as by our Geneva based management. [...]
- InternP.S. the left Zurich weekly newspaper is looking for an intern for the editorial team by August 23, 2021 until the end of the year. At the P.S. you have the opportunity to learn local journalism from scratch in a small team with great freedom. Intern Tasks: Writing, researching, editing articles, interviews and reports Assistance in the [...]
Newsletter Sign up
- Why is nature so cruel
- What rare coins are worth money
- Includes the Amazon refund shipping costs
- How does the blogging platform work
- Which band you absolutely hate
- What is a hydraulic parking system
- Is there a passion for work
- What qualities do really bad programmers share
- The forgiveness of sin perpetuates sin
- Which is the best sales funnel software
- When do F 16 fighters become obsolete?
- Which light has a high wavelength?
- How do antibiotics fight viruses
- Why do people need email for marketing
- What drugs make people horny
- Why do people do dangerous stupid stunts
- Fish fart
- What kinds of smart people are there
- What psychological tests show character
- How much do liquor dealers make
- What are some promising cryptocurrencies
- How many people are poor in Singapore
- What makes your life good today
- How are parachutes used?